Captions for tables/figures and automatic linking

Discussion of the "Documents" module
sander

Captions for tables/figures and automatic linking

Post by sander » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm

I am looking into only office as a solution at work and was very excited about it, until I couldn't get this to work.
In word you can caption a table/figure/equation, it will auto number them and you can reference back to them in text. This will always be updated when adding a table or figure somewhere in the middle of your document.

If you have documents with maybe 60 figures and tables it becomes very tedious work. If you add a table at the start of the document you have to change the 40 following captions and tryto find every spot where it was referenced in the text and then change that as well.

The lacking of this feature makes this solution unsuitable for us, which is really unfortunate because the rest is perfect.

Is there any news on the addition of this feature? Hopefully also the ability to then auto generate a list of tables and list of figures, just like the table of contents does.

Kate

Re: Captions for tables/figures and automatic linking

Post by Kate » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:40 pm

Dear Sander,

Unfortunately, this feature is still in development. However, I cannot confirm whether it will be released any time soon. I will definitely inform the developers that you would like to see it implemented sooner!

Best regards,
Kate