Backup of documents

Discussion of the "Documents" module
mica123

Backup of documents

Post by mica123 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:52 pm

To my great disappointment, there is no way to automatically backup documents. Your product allows only the backup of the whole portal. To complicate matters further, the backup is saved into a tar file which splits all files into numerous folders under different names, not original names. Any restoration of documents would be impossible in wading through numerous folders and files. I am surprised that you have not implemented a way to automatically backup documents incrementally. The only advice I received was that we should download the documents manually to a local hard drive. This is absolutely impractical, not to say time-consuming and inefficient. I am sorry but this is a serious security flaw because users can delete files by mistake or maliciously. We do need to provide access to documents to everyone, but we need to back them up as well. Can you please look into it as a matter of urgency - well, I hope you will. Thank you

Kate

Re: Backup of documents

Post by Kate » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:40 am

Dear user,

We apologize for the delayed reply.

Thank you for your suggestion, we will definitely forward it to our developers for further consideration!

Should you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to contact us.

Best regards

mica123

Post by mica123 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm

Thank you very much, Kate.

I sincerely hope somebody will deal with this as a matter of urgency. However, I have a serious problem which your support is not helping with:
before we signed up to ONLYOFFICE cloud, I asked your support if there is a filesize to limit to download a zip file from ONLYOFFICE. The reply was:
"We are glad to inform you that there are no limits for downloads of documents."

Unfortunately, to my shock and horror, this is not true. We tried to download a 7GB file which ended in failure at 73%. We tried to download a 3GB file which ended in failure at almost 100% with this message: "Exceeds file size limit (100MB)." We tried to download a much smaller file than this with 4 folders - this ended in failure with exactly the same message.

I am totally frustrated. Can you try and help me?

Thank you.

mica123

Post by mica123 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Further to my previous question: I am greatly worried. If we were to stop using your service, how would we get our files (documents) if we are not able to download them as I explained to you before? This is a real nightmare.

Thank you.

Kate

Post by Kate » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Dear user,
Thank you for the provided information.

Please, let us clarify the situation.
Please be informed, you can upload a file (size limit 100MB) to the portal. But from the portal it is possible to download a file with no size limit.
If the given information does not help you to solve the issue, please, describe your actions step by step and send us the screenshot of the error.

Thank you for the cooperation!
We do apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Best regards!

mica123

Post by mica123 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello Kate,

thank you for your reply. I think I will come back to it later as this is getting a bit more complex. However, I would be most grateful if you could explain the following discrepancy to me:

1) a couple of days ago we had 7GB storage - Documents only, no other modules (Mail, CRM, Projects, Talk etc) are used, only Documents; the storage of 7GB comprised all Documents of 4 users plus Common Documents which were 17.9MB, 17.9MB,17.9MB, 17.9MB for 4 users and 6.98 for Common Documents;
2) as an experiment I created a backup manually into ONLYOFFICE Common Documents - this was created as a tar.gz file;
3) the storage subsequently shot up to 13.18GB;
4) as soon as this file was created I immediately downloaded it, moved it to Recycle bin and then deleted it from the Recycle bin;
5) one would have expected that the storage would then revert to the original 7GB, however, this did not happen; the storage still shows 13.18GB today; I checked the Statistics - it shows all the components for the 4 users plus Common documents exactly as it was before I created the backup: 17.9MB, 17.9MB,17.9MB, 17.9MB for 4 users and 6.98 for Common Documents, but the overal storage shows 13.18GB.

I checked the Audit trail, this shows me that the backup was created, then downloaded and moved to Trash. I checked the Recycle bin, nothing is there. I would like to add that I was able to create the backup because the storage was below 10GB, however, I am not able to create backups any more because your system tells me that the storage is more than 10GB - which is not correct as I explained before.

Can you, please, tell me where is the rest which is about 6GB out of 13.18GB? I don't see it anywhere as I deleted it.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards.