Updated Spreadsheets not being saved

Office suite for offline editing of documents, spreadsheets, presentations and collaboration
hjm97

Updated Spreadsheets not being saved

Post by hjm97 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:56 am

I am using ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editions version 5.6.4.20 which I re-installed on Sept.28 on my Samsung laptop running Windows 10 Version 2004. Since the re-install I am "losing" my updated spreadsheets. I read the original sheet, apply changes, and when I save, I get a screen with Save As in the upper LH corner. The screen has the proper document folder and file name and XLSX file type. When I hit the Save button, I get a message saying " *.* file already exists. Do you want to replace it? ". When I hit Yes the file is supposedly saved.
HOWEVER, the original file is still in my documents folder and the updated file is nowhere to be found. I do not have a cloud presence and no external drives are attached. Before the re-install, when I saved a file, I got no messages and the updated file replaced the original.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I cleared out the cache to no avail, and my updates are starting to pile up!

Thanks.

nitronick

Re: Error when saving document

Post by nitronick » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:44 am

Same here. Didn't start until the last update. Tried un and reinstall to no avail.

I actually have to open task manager to kill the program as it will not shut down, even if I make no changes to the document.

yushi

Re: Updated Spreadsheets not being saved

Post by yushi » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:03 pm

I have a similar problem:
I click in save, it shows that some process is working but when I open a file it's the same before the edition. If I click save as it doesn't save a file, I mean it dosn't even create the file.

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Further information:

I installed an earlier version of ONLYOFFICE (5.4.2.30) and the problem went away. However, last night 3 updates to Windows 10 were applied (KB4579311 Cumulative Update, KB4578968 Cumulative .NET updates, and KB4580325 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player) and this morning the problem re-appeared. Could the developers please look into this? Thanks.

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:48 am

Now I'm really confused! I downloaded ONLYOFFICE Ver 6.0.0.110 tonight to see if that would solve my problem, but it seems to be making matters worse. When I open any file (document or spreadsheet), after it loads I get a notice "This file is being edited in another app. You can continue editing and save it as a copy" with a choice to Edit Anyway. I made changes to the spreadsheet and tried to save it. I got a notice "__.xlsx already exists. Do you want to replace it?". I selected yes, and got a notice "An error has occurred while saving the file." So I tried to save the spreadsheet under a different name, using the Save As function. I got a notice "An error has occurred while saving the file".

I had no other app open that would be editing the document so it is a mystery why the editing notice appears. I love the ONLYOFFICE app, having used it for several years, but I'll be force to dump it if these problems can't be resolved.

Kate

Post by Kate » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:50 am

Dear user,

We apologize for the inconveniences caused!

Could you please confirm, that ONLYOFFICE Spreadsheet Editor was downloaded directly from the official website?

Does the problem persist when you save a particular file or every file?

Please specify the location of the source file: is it located on disc C:// (on your computer) or in the local area network?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:17 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, ONLYOFFICE was downloaded from the official site. The problem appears to occur with every file, not just one particular file, and all the files are on my disk C:.

Hope this helps.

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:35 pm

This is getting weird:

Using OPENOFFICE ver. 6.0.0.110, I tried saving updated spreadsheets today, and it worked! BUT - when I tried to re-open them from Recent Files list, " __.xlsx is not available. It may be renamed, moved or deleted. Do you want to remove the file from the list?" with a yes or no button. However, I can go to the Open local file section and open the new file with no problem. At least now I can update files, which is an improvement from yesterday with nothing done on my part to make the difference.

This flakey behavior of the software is worrying as I wonder what will happen next.

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Here's what happened next:

I can now open updated files from the Recent files list. It appears as if everything is acting "normal". Here's hoping.

Thank you moderators for wading through all this stuff.

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Dear users,

The reason of the problem might be the following: starting from ver. 6.0 ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors are blocking the editing of the file, which is already opened in another application (Microsoft Office, for example).

That's why you get a warning message "This file is being edited in another app. You can continue editing and save it as a copy".

If you select "Edit anyway" > make some changes > try to save the changes to the source file > you get an error "*file name* already exists. Do you want to replace it?" > you select "Yes" - nothing will be changed, because the file is still opened in another application.

Our recommendations are:
- save a copy of a file (Save As > manually rename the file > save it)
- close another application in which the workbook/document is opened

Hope, you will find this information usefull.

Best regards