Spreadsheets not updating after Windows 10 updated

Office suite for offline editing of documents, spreadsheets, presentations and collaboration
hjm97

Spreadsheets not updating after Windows 10 updated

Post by hjm97 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:06 am

I'm Back!

Today I applied update KB4586781 to my Windows 10 version 2004 for x64 based system, and all hell broke loose with my spreadsheets.

1. When I opened my spreadsheets, I got the following message: "The file is being edited in another app. You can continue editing and save it as a copy. edit anyway"

The file was not open anywhere else - ONLYOFFICE is the only app installed that does spreadsheets.

2. I opted to edit anyway, and when I tried to save the file, instead of just updating, I got the ONLYOFFICE Save As window with the name and file type filled in.
When I clicked Save, I got "__.xlsx already exists. Do you want to replace it?". I clicked yes, then got the Warning Message "'An error has occurred while saving the file".

3. I tried saving the file with a different name. Again I got the same Warning message "An error occurred while saving the file"

So what do I do now? I've got updated spreadsheets I can't save. Do I back out my Windows updates and hope nothing bad happens, or do I keep the updates and try another package until ONLYOFFICE fixes their flaky software. It sounds to me as if some developer has used an undocumented expediency in Windows somewhere which has been modified in the last two Windows updates. Just sayin.........

hjm97

Re: Spreadsheets not updating after Windows 10 updated

Post by hjm97 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Here's what I've tried so far:

I backed out one of the Windows Updates I installed - the other 2 were security updates which couldn't be removed. I then tried updating a spreadsheet with the same results as before.
There was a new Windows 10 update to Version 20H2 which I installed.
I uninstalled ONLYOFFICE, downloaded & installed ONLYOFFICE V6.0.1.32 directly from their website.
I tried updating a spreadsheet: same results as before -
message saying spreadsheet being edited in another app
after selecting edit anyway, got an error has occurred while saving file message when I tried to save the sheet.

In other words, I'm no further ahead, although I have updated Windows.

Oh well........

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:11 pm

Another piece of the puzzle:

I moved my spreadsheet files to a zip drive. I was then able to read them into ONLYOFFICE with no problem. After updating one, I tried to save it back onto the zip drive but the software seemed to be stuck in an endless loop. After a minute or two I hit Esc to stop the process. I then tried saving the spreadsheet under a new name on the zip drive, and that worked fine.

I read the thread "Problem with 6.0 Version" by jks21 and found an explanation for why files couldn't be opened and/or saved by Moderator Kate. In my case, my files are not network accessible so I shouldn't be having these problems.

Anyway, I now have a work-around for this and can now update my spreadsheets. I will continue to monitor the Forum to see if a solution is made available.

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Oh dear,

I downloaded Ver. 6.0.2.10 hoping it would solve my problems. Sadly, they're still there. Luckily I can still update my spreadsheets from my flash drive.

Is anybody looking at these problems?

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:00 pm

So not much has happened in regards to my problem.

I discovered an old version of LibreOffice was still on my computer that I had forgotten about. I deleted it, and then for good measure, I deleted my ONLYOFFICE app, downloaded the latest version (6.0.2.10) from the official site and reinstalled it. Unfortunately this did nothing to fix my problem: I still got the message "The file is being edited in another app. You can continue editing and save it as a copy." and the Edit Anyway link when I opened a spreadsheet. I clicked the link, did an update and then clicked the file save icon. I got the save as window, renamed the spreadsheet and clicked save. After a few seconds I got the message "Warning An error has occurred while saving the file".

In other words, nothing has changed. I have also not received any guidance or help from ONLYOFFICE.

Is anybody listening there?

hjm97

Post by hjm97 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Disappointed again

I installed new version (6.1.0.90) of ONLYOFFICE today.
It had no effect on my problem:
when I open spreadsheet file from my hard disk, get "file being edited..." message;
if I edit it anyway and try save as option, get "error occurred..."message.

I have no problem reading and updating files from a flash drive.

Am I the only one having this problem?
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

HELP